Lamkhaga pass trek Itinerary
- A trek that can be considered as a tough to a challenging trek.
- Climb to a maximum altitude of 5284 meters.
- Service of experienced trek guides and superior quality tents.
The trek is also known as Chitkul to Gangotri trek or Harsil to Chitkul trek. It trek can be done from either side. The beautiful route takes you through some of the most remote areas of Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh, like the Jalandhari valley that is covered with flowers post monsoon. The snow in the early season could impede your progress. Harsil is famous for Wilson’s Cottage built in 1864. Gangotri is a short drive from Harsil, while Chitkul is the last village in the Baspa Valley. Though the difficulty is a relative term, the Lamkhaga pass trek is considered the most difficult in Kinnaur-Garhwal Himalayas.
Day 1: Shimla – Chitkul
- You will be received at Shimla by your hosts and be driven from Shimla to Chitkul via Kufri and Narkanda after a nice warm breakfast.
- Dinner will be served and you will stay overnight in Chitkul in guest house/ village homestay.
Day 2: Chitkul – Nagasthi – Rani Kanda
- Chitkul is the last village in Baspa valley and is located on the true right bank of the river.
- The town of Sangla is 26 km from Chitkul and is very beautiful and one of the best in Kinnaur.
You will start the trek from Chitkul and trek up to Rani Kanda.
There will be an overnight stay in tents and a delicious dinner will be served in Rani Kanda.
Day 3: Acclimatization day
- On the third day, you will rest in Rani Kanda and acclimatize ourselves.
You can relax and explore the surroundings.
Day 4: Rani Kanda – Dumti
- Today you trek through and cascading waterfalls and flowery meadows to reach Dumti. Your dinner will be served and you will be staying overnight in tents in Dumti.
Day 5: Dumti – Gundar
- On the fifth day start the day from Dumti and trek up to Gundar.
- You follow the Baspa River all along and cross several small streams along the way to reach Gundar.
Day 6: Gundar – Lamkhaga Pass Base Camp
- It could be a tough day depending upon the snow conditions and so an early start is recommended.
- The climb is steep and may require some technical gear. The dinner will be served and you will be staying overnight in tents at the base camp.
Day 7: Lamkhaga Pass Base Camp – Base camp II (Kinnaur)
- On the seventh day, you trek from the Lamkhaga base camp to the base camp II on the Kinnaur side. The climb is steep and on snow. You will start early because at times it might take longer than expected.
Day 8: Base camp II (Kinnaur) – Lamkhaga Pass – Base camp III (Gangotri)
- On this day you start your final ascent to the Lamkhaga Pass and we cross the mountain pass and get over to the base camp on the Gangotri side.
- The climb is steep and might require technical gear.
Day 9: Base camp III (Gangotri) – Kyorkati
- On a ninth day, we descend down from the base camp to Kyorkati at the mouth of the glacier which is a meadow. You will be pitching your tents here and camp for the night.
Day 10: Kyorkati – Harsil
- The final leg of the trek is through very beautiful and through thick forests, numerous waterfalls and unnamed streams. You finally reach Harsil and rest for the night in village homestays/hotel or tents. On the next morning, you depart for Gangotri and then to Uttarkashi.
Things to Carry:
- T-shirts, Trekking Pants, Windproof jacket preferably with a hood, Warm and thick Fleece
- Full-sleeve Woolen sweater, regular socks (3-4 pairs), Scarf/muffler (optional)
- Comfortable Trekking/Hiking shoes (shoes with a thick sole are recommended)
- Lightweight floaters/sandals/slippers, Raincoat / Poncho
- Small lightweight towel, Water bottle, Sunscreen Lotion
- Cap to keep the strong sun away from your face, Sunglasses
- Sunscreen Lotion, Lip Balm, Torch / Flashlight (with extra batteries)
- Medicines (if requiring any specific medication), Personal toiletries
- Books, if you like reading
- Day pack/small bag which you will carry on your back every day and keep your essentials in it
Camera with charged batteries
- Please avoid carrying expensive watches, jewelry and electronic items on the trek.
- All arrangements for overnight stays during the trip in homestay or camps
- All stays and lodging on twin sharing basis shall be provided
- Food during the trek – Breakfast, Lunch, Evening tea and Dinner. (Vegetarian food)
- Special trained certified guides trained for emergency situations
- Local guides and workers with in-depth knowledge about the local area
- It will be a cultural and traditional experience as all stays will be mostly in villages
- One luggage per person will be transported by us
- Permits and transportation during the trip
- Any kind of personal expenses
- Camera fees during the trek
- Any other costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances and situation beyond our control
- Anything not mentioned in the inclusions